When you buy a new laptop, your first impulse is to dive right in and start exploring, but before you starting working, your laptop needs a prelude, warm up to get started. If you’re a first-time buyer, then owning a laptop is definitely very exciting, but with the excitement comes the task of setting up your laptop and getting it ready for use. A brand new shiny laptop is like a blank page wherein you need to add certain inputs as per your requirements and shape it according to your usage. Here’s a quick look at the set-up process for a brand new laptop
Just get started with the setup process and keep going.
- Windows Version: It is very important to check the windows version in your laptop. Generally, all laptops come with the 8.1 version which may have to be upgraded to the latest version to make the best use of all the new features. This should be followed by the basic set ups like screen setting, date and time settings, display, and colour settings. In certain cases, you may get a laptop that doesn’t have a pre-loaded operating system. In such cases, you have to buy the OS installation CD separately and firstly install the OS on your laptop. No need to worry, the installation instructions are pretty straightforward and the process only takes a few minutes. Once installed, you can proceed to set up date, time, screen theme, etc.
- The Electrician Disc: A system is, after all, an electronic device and might get corrupted very easily damaging all the contents. Here is where the electrician disc, i.e. the system repair disc comes to your rescue and cushions all your documents. This is a separate DVD that will act as a substitute and help in rebooting the system when it starts throwing tantrums.
- The Watchman Software: Is it enough to just install the security disc? Will it guard you when the internet is on? No definitely not. So the next important set up is to give your system a wholesome and complete protection. Install antivirus software to protect your laptop from viruses, spyware, and malware.
- Power Saving Plans: The next important step is to efficiently and economically use the laptop. This can be achieved by making a few modifications in the power saving options. You can instruct your notebook to save energy when not in use and log off if it’s idle for a long time. Such power saving measures will increase the longevity of your system.
- External Router: It is important to protect your system from attacks while connected to the internet and an external router will safely take you to the web page without any interruptions. This acts as a link between the laptop and the net personalising your data and stops external sources from accessing your files.
- Clean Up wizard: This tool will help to uninstall and remove the unwanted items from your system and makes way for the new and important folders.
- Make sure the software is updated: It is always important that you work with upgraded tools and software. In the control panel, there is an option to turn on auto upgrade. Do this to ensure your laptop is functioning with the latest version of all applications and software.